Sunday, June 10, 2007

Week 1 - 3 Miles is hell

So... I just arrived home from my first day of training! We met at the Berkeley marina at 8am and they sent us out in waves of ten. Today's run was unique in that we were being timed from start to finish in order to determine our minute-per-mile pace. I ended up running a 14 minute mile, exactly as I had suspected. They asked that we take the 3 miles at a "laugh and giggle" or "conversational" pace. So, I ended up doing intervals (run/walk) and probably walked as much as I ran for those three miles. I'm happy with a 14 minute mile... It was hard and I'm feeling really out of shape, but that'll change (hopefully).

Anyway, after our run we met with the other people who run at our pace and elected a pace group leader (PGL). Nobody in our group (there are only 4 of us for now) wanted to do it so I (reluctantly) volunteered. The basic role of the PGL is to act as a liason between the runners at that pace and the coach who facilitates the run site. Also, I have to keep time while we're running, which means I need to buy a new watch!

I've got the OK to coordinate a fundraising event at Brendan's winery, so I've got to start cracking on that in the next week. And I sent in the paperwork to have a movie night at the Parkway, and I should hear back from them sometime in the next couple of days.

I think that's it for now. . . Time to go lay down.

0 comments: